Future City Competition
The Future City Competition (FCC) is a national, cross-curricular program that lets 6th - 8th graders do the things engineers do: identify problems, brainstorm ideas, design solutions, test and retest, build and then share the results.
FCC runs from September to January. Students work as a team with an educator and engineer mentor to develop a project plan; create a virtual city design with SimCity software; research and write a proposed solution to an engineering challenge; build a tabletop city model with recycled materials; and present their ideas before judges.
Public, private, and home schools, as well as organized youth groups (Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, 4-H, Boys & Girls Club, etc.), are welcome to form teams and compete in Future City. The registration fee is only $25. For more information and to register, please visit: www.futurecity.org/Minnesota
The 2018 Minnesota Regional Future City Competition is on January 20 at Dakota County Technical College. The deliverable dates are as follows:
- Monday, November 20 – SimCity slideshow due
- Monday, December 18 – Essays due
- Wednesday, January 3 – student presenter names due (this is firm deadline. I will begin printing the program, certificates, and name tags on January 4)
- Friday, January 12 – Project Plans due
- Saturday, January 20 – city models and presentations due at regional competition. Also, Honor Statement, Expense Report + receipts, and Media Waiver due.
Follow the Minnesota Regional Future City Competition on Twitter @FCCMN